Appellate, Federal, & Local Rules
Court Holidays
Court Locations
Court Reporters
Central Violations Bureau
District Statistics
Fee Schedule
Other Helpful Links
Judges' Calendars
Directory & Biographies
Judges' Policies & Procedures
Standing Orders
Opinions/Notable Cases
General Information
Jury Plan
Trial Jurors Handbook
Grand Jurors Handbook
Austin Jury Instructions
Del Rio Jury Instructions
El Paso Jury Instructions
Midland/Odessa Jury Instructions
Pecos Jury Instructions
San Antonio Jury Instructions
Waco Jury Instructions
Application for Admission to Practice
Change of Address
Certificate of Good Standing
Mediator Information
Pro Bono Civil Appointments
Approved Surety List
Service of Process
Federal Records Center
Courtroom Technology
Registry Funds Information
U.S. Attorney (Texas/Western), Illegal Reentry Fast-Track Program
Cash Bail Forms
CJA Panel Standing Order, Questionnaire and Application
eVoucher Training Materials
Helpful Links
Alternative Dispute Resolution

Frequently Asked Questions

View Table: Facts   

Back to List 

Can I petition the Court to assign the bond money I posted in a criminal case over to the defendant's attorney or to another individual?
Assignment of bond funds to the defendant's attorney or to another individual requires an order of the District Court. An application for assignment of cash bail must be submitted. The order for assignment of funds is separate and apart from the order for return of cash bail, so the application for assignment may be submitted any time after the bond is posted. However, the funds will not be considered available for disbursement before either a dismissal of the charges or the delivery of a criminal judgment in the case. At that time, an application for return of cash bail, along with the original receipt must be submitted. Return of the bond funds is subject to the terms of 28 U.S.C. 2044.