Frequently Asked Questions
View Table: Facts
Back to List
will allow attorneys to file and view documents from their office, home or anywhere they have access to the Internet, 24 hours a day. Some documents are automatically docketed as part of the filing process and are immediately available electronically. CM/ECF
also provides the following benefits:
- 24-hour access to filed documents over the Internet.
- Automatic email notice of case activity.
- The ability to download and print documents directly from the court system.
- Concurrent access to case files by multiple parties.
- Secure storage of documents.
- Potential reduction in courier fees.
- Documents filed in text PDF (i.e. documents that are created electronically, rather than scanned) can be text-searched and text-copied. In other words you can highlight and copy text from someone else's motion or order and paste it into the document that you are preparing, saving you the time of retyping the information.
For additional information, please see the attached video prepared by the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts titled "CM/ECF: The Attorney's Perspective"
. You will need to have the ability to play Microsoft Windows Media Player files on your computer to view the video!
If you need the viewer software, please see our Plug-ins Page
. The video is a very large file (almost 23Mb in size), so it may take several minutes to load if you are using dial-up access. The video is over 19 minutes in length.