El Paso Jury Instructions
There are no notices at this time.
JURY INFORMATION AVAILABLE 24 HOURS A DAY AT:
Check Reporting Instructions or call either 1-888-587-9329 (toll-free) or 1-210-472-4912 (direct)
Request Postponement or Excusal
INFORMATION ABOUT FEDERAL JURY SERVICE
- United States District Courthouse
525 Magoffin Avenue
El Paso, Texas 79901
You will report to the Jury Assembly Room on the 2nd floor of the courthouse.
Get Driving Directions to the El Paso Courthouse:
- ENTERING COURTHOUSE:
- A valid photo ID is required when entering the courthouse.
- CELL PHONES:
- Cell phones and all other electronic devices (such as MP3 players, iPods, and electronic book readers) are not allowed in the courthouse.
- There are numerous "pay parking lots" in the area:
- Diversified at Kansas and Myrtle;
- County Parking Garage at Kansas and East Overland Ave.;
- U.S. Parking Systems at Kansas and East Overland Avenue; or,
- There are 1-2 lots available on Myrtle Avenue.
Do not park in reserved parking areas or at parking meters.
- YOUR SUMMONS:
- Your summons includes important information about your jury service in Federal Court.
How long will I serve?
Your jury panel will remain on-call for thirty days beginning with the first working day of the month.
- What day do I begin my service?
Your summons includes the date you are scheduled to report. Allow the entire day for your jury service.
- How will I be informed about when to report?
Please follow the instructions under the "Reporting Instructions" section of your summons. When accessing our message system via phone or the web, you must enter your Juror Participant Number. The Participant Number can be found on your summons.
- What is the expected length and frequency of my service?
Jury selections can be scheduled any day of the week. If you report for jury duty and are NOT selected, you will receive oral instructions on when to call again. If you are selected for a trial and it lasts more than one day, the judge will dismiss the jury each evening with instructions on when to report the next day. Most of the trials are estimated to last from 1-3 days. If the trial continues late into the evening, you will be given enough time to get in touch with your family to make arrangements.
- SUMMONS JUROR QUALIFICATION QUESTIONNAIRE:
- Enclosed with your summons you will find a Summons Juror Qualification Questionnaire. Please complete this form and return it as soon as possible. It is very important that you include your phone number, in the event our office needs to contact you should changes in the Court's schedule occur. All blanks must be answered. If a question does not pertain to you, please mark with a N/A (Not Applicable). You will receive a self-addressed, postage paid envelope to be used when returning the completed Summons Juror Qualification Questionnaire.
- Please enclose with your completed questionnaire, any request to be excused or postponed from jury service. Return within five (5) days of receiving your packet. Enclosed with your summons mail-out, you will find an excuse form that you can use to submit your excuse in writing. Your request must indicate the Jury Panel Name and the Juror Participant Number assigned to you. If you have a trip, meeting, or medical appointment, etc., during the term of your service, you must submit this information immediately. You should list the dates of your trip (leaving/returning). If you are a student requesting to be excused, please include a class schedule with your written request to be excused. A juror can check the status of their request by accessing our Jury Messaging System (see section on "Excuse Request Status", below). You are NOT to assume that your request has been granted. Federal law is very strict regarding the granting of excuses.
Address all requests to:
Clerk, United States District Court
Attention: JURY SECTION
525 Magoffin Avenue
El Paso, Texas 79901
you may also submit your excuse request on-line: Request Postponement or Excuse.
If you require an extreme hardship excuse or postponement AFTER the start of your thirty day term of service, submit your request immediately by FAX. The fax number is: (915) 534-6095.
DO NOT WAIT UNTIL YOUR SERVICES ARE NEEDED.
If you submit a request to be excused or postponed on the day you are directed to report, and the Judge grants your request, you will NOT be paid the attendance fee, nor the mileage fee, and you will not be reimbursed any parking expense. Jurors who fail to report for jury duty, and who have not been excused or postponed by a judge, may be served a Show Cause Order by a Deputy United States Marshal. Those jurors will be ordered to appear before a judge to explain why they should not be held in contempt of the Jury Selection and Service Act. Contempt penalties range from a $1,000 fine, imprisoned not more than three days, ordered to perform community service, or any combination thereof.
- EXCUSE REQUEST STATUS:
- The decision of the Court will be made available to you by accessing our Jury Messaging System at 888-587-9329 or on-line at: Reporting Instructions. Please make sure you have your Participant Number available when accessing the message system. When an excuse request is submitted to our office, the Jury Messaging System will either state that your request has been granted or denied. Allow 3-5 business days before accessing the Jury Messaging System to check the status of your excuse request.
- JUROR FEES:
- A $40.00 daily attendance fee is paid for each day you report for jury duty (with the exception of Federal Government employees), even if you are not selected to hear a case.
A prescribed rate per mile is paid for the distance traveled to and from a juror's residence by the shortest practical route in going to and returning from the place of service. Please indicate the one-way mileage on the Summons Juror Qualification Questionnaire.
- COURTROOM DECORUM:
- The following is a guideline for courtroom decorum which jurors are asked to observe:
- Rise when addressing or being addressed by the judge and always begin your answer to a question by stating your juror number and name.
- No tobacco in any form at any time.
- No propping of feet on tables and/or chairs.
- No bottles, beverage containers, paper cups or food shall be brought into the courtroom.
- No gum chewing, reading of newspapers and/or magazines (except as part of evidence in a case).
- Appropriate dress is required.
- No t-shirts or body shirts. A collared shirt is acceptable for men.
- No flip flops or shower shoes.
- No capri pants, shorts or cut-offs.
- No sunglasses, except prescription.
- No headgear (caps, berets or scarves).
- No tank tops, spaghetti straps or tube tops.
- CHANGE OF NAMES, ADDRESS, TELEPHONE NUMBER AND/OR EMPLOYMENT CHANGES:
- Jurors who have a change of name, or address, or phone number, and/or employment status, MUST submit these changes to the Jury Section as soon as possible. Be sure to indicate the Panel Name and the Juror Participant Number with the change(s) submitted.
A current mailing address is required in order to receive your notices and your jury check. The U.S. Postal Service cannot forward jury checks. A current day-time phone number is crucial in case we need to contact you by telephone.
If you have additional questions regarding your service to this Court, please call the Jury Section by dialing (915) 534-6725.