San Antonio Jury Instructions
**MAY REMINDER** PANEL P-178-5 **May*REMINDER**
All Jurors on Panel P-178-5 are reminded to call the phone messaging system at 1-888-587-9329 (alternate # 210-472-4912), visit the Web at
JURY INFORMATION AVAILABLE 24 HOURS A DAY AT:
Check Reporting Instructions or call either 1-888-587-9329 (toll-free) or 1-210-472-4912 (direct)
Request Postponement or Excusal
INFORMATION ABOUT FEDERAL JURY SERVICE
- John H. Wood, Jr., U.S. Courthouse
655 East Cesar E. Chavez Boulevard
San Antonio, Texas 78206
You will report for jury duty to the Jury Assembly Room on the Ground Floor of the courthouse. The Jury Assembly Room is located in Room G-13. Restroom facilities are located on this floor.
Get Driving Directions to the San Antonio Courthouse:
- ENTERING COURTHOUSE:
- Please have a picture identification card available to present entering the courthouse building. The courthouse opens at 7:45 a.m.
- Lot A and Lot B are located across the street from the courthouse building on either side of Indianola Street at East Durango Boulevard (see General Layout of Courthouse Complex). These two lots are public parking lots and free of charge. Do not park in reserved parking areas or at parking meters. Parking for jurors is in either Lot A or Lot B. If you require handicap parking, please call the Jury Department at (210) 472-6550, extension 5015 or extension 5019, or toll free at (800) 659-2497.
- YOUR SUMMONS:
- Your summons includes important information about your jury service in Federal Court.
How long will I serve?
Your jury panel is subject to being called during the entire month beginning with the day of your summons.
- What day do I begin my service?
Your Summons will instruct you to report on a certain day and time (allow the entire day for your jury service.)
The summons indicates that I am on call for the entire month. How will I be informed about when to report?
Under the "Reporting Instructions" section of your summons, jurors are instructed to access our message system after 6:00 p.m. each Sunday night. When accessing our message system via phone or the web, you must enter your Juror Participant Number. The Participant Number can be found on your summons.
- What is the expected length and frequency of my service?
Jury selections are scheduled on Mondays with very few exceptions, if any. If you report for jury duty and are not selected, you will receive instructions to call each Sunday during the month, after 6:00 p.m. for further instructions. Again, jurors can be summoned more than once during the particular month of their initial summons; and jurors can serve on more than one trial within that same month. If you are selected for a trial and it lasts more than one day, the judge will dismiss the jury each evening and instruct you as to what time you will need to report in the next day. Most of the trials are estimated from 1 - 3 days. If the trial continues later into the evening than expected, you will be given enough time to get in touch with your family to make arrangements.
- SUMMONS JUROR QUALIFICATION QUESTIONNAIRE:
- Enclosed with your summons you will find a Summons Juror Qualification Questionnaire. Please complete this form and return it as soon as possible. All blanks must be answered. It is very important that you include your phone number, in the event our office needs to contact you should changes in the Court's schedule occur. If a question does not pertain to you please mark with a N/A (Not Applicable). You will receive a self-addressed, postage paid envelope to be used when returning the completed Summons Juror Qualification Questionnaire.
- Federal Law allowing the granting of excuses is very strict. Request for excuses and postponements should be mailed with the completed Summons Juror Qualification Questionnaire form in the return envelope provided. Enclosed with your summons mail-out you will find an excuse form that you can use to submit your excuse in writing.
Your request must indicate the Jury Panel and Juror Participant Number assigned to you. If you have any prior commitments such as trips, meetings, doctor's appointments, etc. during the month you are summoned, you need to submit this information to the Court. A juror can check the status of their request by accessing our Jury Messaging System (see section on "Excuse Request Status", below). You are not to assume your request has been granted. If a situation arises after you have submitted your completed Summons Juror Qualification Questionnaire, you may fax your request to (210) 472-6581 or mail your request to:
Clerk, United States District Court
Attention: Jury Clerk
655 East Cesar E. Chavez Boulevard
San Antonio, Texas 78206
you may also submit your excuse request on-line: Request Postponement or Excuse.
The Court will only entertain requests for excuses/postponements for emergency situations on the day you are directed to report. If the Court grants your request, you will not be reimbursed the attendance or mileage fee..
Jurors who fail to report for jury duty and who have not been excused by the Court may be served a Show Cause Order by a Deputy United States Marshal. Those jurors will be ordered to appear before the Court to show cause why they should not be held in contempt of the Jury Service and Selection Act. Contempt penalties range from a $1,000.00 fine, imprisoned not more than three (3) days, ordered to perform community service, or any combination thereof.
- EXCUSE REQUEST STATUS:
- The decision of the Court will be made available to you by accessing our Jury Messaging System at 888-587-9329 or on-line at Reporting Instructions. Please make sure you have your Participant Number available when accessing the message system. When an excuse request is submitted to our office, the Jury Messaging System will either state that your request has been granted or denied. Allow 3-5 business days before accessing the Jury Messaging System to check the status of your excuse request.
- JUROR FEES:
- A $40.00 daily attendance fee is paid for each day you report for jury duty, even if you are not selected to hear a case.
A prescribed rate per mile is paid for the distance traveled to and from a juror's residence by the shortest practical route in going to and returning from the place of service. Please indicate the one-way mileage on the Summons Juror Qualification Questionnaire.
If you live more than 70 miles (one-way) from San Antonio, you may travel the day before you are instructed to report. You will be reimbursed a set per diem for each night you are required to stay for jury service. (NOTE: You may want to pack several days clothing in case you are selected as a juror and decide to stay overnight.) If an on-line hotel booking service is used, the following two documents must be provided to the jury clerk: 1) Receipt from the on-line service and, 2) Receipt from the hotel detailing when the juror checked-in and checked-out. This documentation can be provided in a letter from the hotel. A lone receipt from the on-line service will not satisfy the documentation our office needs to reimburse you in a timely manner.
- CHANGE OF NAMES, ADDRESS, TELEPHONE NUMBER AND/OR EMPLOYMENT CHANGES:
- A current mailing address is important and required so that your jury check can be delivered by the postal service. The U.S. Post Office will not forward jury checks.
Jurors who have a change of name, address, phone number and/or employment after they have submitted their Summons Juror Qualification Questionnaire should submit these changes to the Jury Section as soon as possible. Be sure to indicate the Jury Panel and Juror Participant Number with the change being submitted.
A current day-time phone number is also important in the event we need to contact you by telephone.
- ATTENDANCE CERTIFICATES:
- Jurors will be given an attendance certificate showing the date of service. When you serve on a trial, attendance certificates are issued at the end of the trial and are inclusive of the first day you reported until discharged by the Court. Some employers require this certificate.
If you have additional questions regarding your service to this Court, please feel free to call the Jury Department at (210) 472-6550, and either extension 5015 or extension 5019. Our toll free telephone number is 1-800-659-2497.