The United States District Court for the Western District of Texas will be upgrading its case management software to the Next Generation (commonly called NextGen) of ECF during the weekend of July 29-31, 2022. Beginning Monday, August 1, 2022, attorneys will be required to log in to ECF through a PACER account to file documents. You must take action to continue filing with the district after this upgrade. Do so early to avoid issues.
Obtain Your Own PACER Viewing Account (if you do not have an individual account)
- Prepare for NextGen by obtaining your own PACER account. Shared PACER accounts may no longer be used past MONDAY, AUGUST 1, 2022. Register for a new PACER viewing account at the PACER registration page.
- More information on registering for a new PACER account can also be found by clicking here.
- NOTE: If you already have your own PACER account, then proceed to Step 2.
Upgrade Your Existing PACER Account (if you have an individual account)
- If you have your own individual PACER account and it was created prior to August 1, 2022 (also known as a Legacy account), you must upgrade your account before you can electronically file in a NextGen court.
- Upgraded PACER accounts have usernames with at least 8 characters. If your username contains only 6 characters, then you do not have an upgraded PACER account. After reviewing the Instructions for upgrading your PACER account, log into your PACER account to follow the instructions noted.
- Questions regarding your PACER account should be directed to PACER at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (800) 676-6856.
Make Note of the ECF Login User ID and Password which you are Currently Using
- Do not rely upon your login information being saved in your web browser.
- It will be lost and not recoverable once the court goes live with NextGen.
- If you do not know your current login and/or password, you can reset your password by clicking here.
- Obtain Your Own PACER Viewing Account (if you do not have an individual account)
What Happens on Monday, August 1, 2022?
On or after Monday, August 1, 2022, you must link your upgraded PACER account to your current ECF account. Further guidance on linking your upgraded PACER account to your current CM/ECF account can be located by clicking here.
- Answers to frequently asked questions may be found at https://www.pacer.gov/nextgen
- For more information on the PACER upgrade process, please visit https://www.pacer.gov/nextgen. You can also visit the Courts website www.txwd.uscourts.gov for more information related to preparing for the Next Generation of CM/ECF.
- Firms may set up a PACER Administrative Account to help manage attorney/limited user accounts and have those individual accounts centrally billed for PACER access fees. Complete information can be found at the group billing page of the PACER site.